Wednesday, January 20, 2010

ImMEDIATE Justice, NOW!

Today I attended my first Rhode Island National Organization for Women meeting.  It was absolutely amazing.  This organization does exactly what I want to do one day.  It promotes equality for women, reproductive rights, ending violence towards women, supporting gay and lesbian rights, and stopping discrimination.  It works with legislators to create effective and meaningful laws to help further these goals, and lobbies for them.  I was really impressed with the cohesion of the group, and how receptive they were to new ideas.  For instance, I brought up the ImMEDIAte Justice project, started by the Women's Creative Collective in L.A.  It reaches out to inner-city girls and teenagers, asking them about their personal experiences with sexual education, and addresses the large gap between what is presented by their school, their family, and their friends.  I have been working with this nonprofit since the summertime, and was so proud of the video that they created as a result of long hours of hard work.  The women at RI NOW were immediately on board with potentially screening the video in the future.  It was great.

I expect to become more involved in RI NOW, especially because they will be having lobbyist training in the next few weeks, and because the state V-Day events will be happening in March.  I coordinated the spoken word response to The Vagina Monologues during Brown's V-Day last year, and it was an amazing event.  I am super excited.

Here are some links you can enjoy:
Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment